Auto Accident Attorney in Stockton Explains Sideswipe Accidents
Many people would consider a sideswipe accident to be relatively minor with property damage as the greatest concern. However, sideswiping can actually be very serious and is often just the first incident in a more severe collision. Most sideswiping incidents occur when two cars are driving side-by-side and a driver becomes distracted, drifting into the lane of the other driver. At this point, there is the possibility for escalation. If either driver reacts to this contact by overcorrecting, they may veer into yet another car, an inanimate object, or may flip their car if the overcorrection is severe enough. If you or someone you know has been involved in a sideswipe accident, call an auto accident attorney in Stockton to see if you’re eligible for compensation.
Nearly a quarter of a million (250,000) sideswipe incidents occur per year, resulting in approximately 27,000 injuries and more than 2,500 fatalities, according to the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety.
There are many situations in which a sideswipe accident may occur. Below is a list of the most common circumstances that may lead to this collision:
- Distracted driver – talking or texting on the phone (drivers in California are prohibited from using handheld devices to text or call – only hands-free devices for drivers over 18 are permitted), communicating with passengers, fatigue or sleep deprivation, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Poor driving technique – driving too close to the other lane, aggressive driving, reckless driving
- Blind spot – drivers may not see another car when changing lanes
- Overcorrecting – if a driver realizes he or she is drifting from their lane, they may overcorrect and collide with another car.
- Merging – many sideswiping incidents occur when a car is merging onto a highway or turning onto a new road. Cars may focus only on the lane in which they intend to enter without paying enough attention to the next lane over.
Regardless of the cause, it is important to note that sideswipe accidents are entirely avoidable. If you have been injured because someone negligently sideswiped you, speak to an auto accident attorney> in Stockton who can evaluate your case.
One unique concern for sideswipe accidents is the car’s’ safety precautions. Most car accidents occur to the front or rear of the car. This is why cars are equipped with bumpers and airbags in the steering wheels. The sides of cars consist of the door panel – a thin material with no bumper to absorb any impact. While these collisions are not nearly as severe as a T-bone accident, they can cause the driver to lose control and hit other cars or inanimate objects or even roll over. Injuries can be minor to substantial. Below is a list of potential injuries that may be incurred:
- Brain damage
- Broken or fractured bones
- Damage to the brain or spine causing partial or full paralysis or comatose.
- Loss of limbs
- Cuts or bruises
- Nerve damage
- Joint dislocation or injury
After any car collision, there are several things each driver should do. Below is a brief outline:
- Seek medical attention immediately if any individual incurs a serious injury.
- By California law, you are required to exchange information such as names, phone numbers, insurance information, vehicle information such as license plate number, etc. with the other driver. Be sure not to admit fault at this time.
- Collect as much evidence at the scene as possible. Take images if you can. Write down your account of the events, including the time and date of the accident as well as your estimated speed.
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident.
- Seek legal advice of a skilled auto accident attorney in Stockton.
Determining fault in a sideswipe accident can be very difficult. Sometimes the perpetrator is unknown, such as when it occurs to a parked car. In the case that a car is sideswiped while legally parked, the perpetrator may be charged with a hit and run if they fled the scene without leaving contact information.
In most cases in which the two drivers are traveling in the same direction, it can be very difficult to determine fault. Both cars have damage and even if one has more damage than the other, it’s difficult to determine who caused the accident. It can take an expert crash investigation involving witness testimony and police reports.
Insurance companies are organizations with the main goal of making a profit. Even when their policyholder is at fault, the insurance company will try to minimize their liability and undercut any damage or injury. California is a comparative fault state, meaning each driver in a collision can be considered partially at fault, affecting their ability to collect compensation.
The best thing an individual involved in a sideswipe accident can do to protect themselves is to hire an auto accident attorney in Stockton. Having a knowledgeable and motivated lawyer working on your case can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Auto Accident Attorney in Stockton Can Get You The Compensation You Deserve
Sideswipe accidents can be either severe or mild but in the case of an extreme accident, it’s important you speak with an auto accident attorney in Stockton who can evaluate your case and fight for you in the court of law. Sadiq Law Firm, P.C. is committed to getting you the best result for your pain and suffering.Give us a call at (209) 943-0000 for a free consultation.