Biking is an efficient way to get around. Not only is it healthy for you, but it’s also great for the environment. However, biking on surface streets alongside cars and trucks is a daunting task that takes an extra layer of protective action. It’s no secret that bikes don’t have the assurance of a protective metal bubble around them. When accidents happen, there’s nothing to brace the impact. Because of speed, accidents between bikes and motorists are often followed by injuries or in a worst case scenario, fatality. If you or someone you know has been hit by a car while riding a bicycle, speak with a Stockton auto accident lawyer for legal representation.
Some things you can do as a bicyclist to avoid getting hit by a vehicle:
- Wear reflective clothing: one of the best means of defense is to be sure motorists can see you, in the daytime or the night time.
- Use lights: at night if you’re riding, you should be sure that your bike is equipped with a reflective rear light so you do not go unseen.
- Wear a helmet: Mom’s request is actually one of the best ways to defend against disaster. Protecting your head is one of the best means of safety when you ride. You should also note that if you fall a time or two, you should replace your helmet because it will not be as protective. Be sure your helmet fits properly and that it can sustain impact.
- Obey all laws: Following signs and regulations is extremely important when you’re biking on streets. You should bike in the same direction as moving traffic, and obey all lights. Bikes frequently cross red lights thinking they can make it before the other direction, but this often ends in disaster. Use bike lanes where they are available, and use your best judgement in knowing when conditions are safe or unsafe.
- Do not ride under the influence: Often overlooked, just like driving, you should never bike under the influence. A staggering number of bike fatalities involve cyclists who have a high BAC, or blood alcohol content.
When biking, and when driving, make sure to always be smart and remain alert. There are many variables on the road, and it’s important everyone does their due diligence to ensure safety for everyone. When accidents do happen, the injuries can catastrophic but depending on the factors, you may be entitled for compensation. Speak to a Stockton personal injury attorney who can evaluate your case and advise you on the best legal course of action to take.
If you were injured due to the negligence of another, regardless of the nature of the underlying accident, it is important to contact an experienced Stockton auto accident lawyer to discuss your legal options. Sadiq Law Firm has the resources and expertise to aggressively litigate your case in court, fighting to get you just compensation for your injury.